Sunday, December 15, 2013

Apple Cinnamon Rolls

As promised, here is the real deal! I caved and used yeast here- there's no getting away from it I think! This recipe was surprisingly easy, and the results were ridiculous! I'll never buy a cinnamon roll again!


Bonus points: kneading by hand is exhausting!! Well, for me it was! Anyone who goes to the gym might actually be up for the task! After all that elbow grease I felt I deserved to scoff these bad boys!


I think these would be perfect to bring to a friend's house over the Christmas holidays, or just to make to munch on while wrapping gifts or watching your favourite Christmas movies! A winner in my book, I think they'd be fab for Christmas morning breakfast!


I found this recipe on The Baker Chick, I know a lot of people slather these beauties with caramel or cream cheese frosting but I dusted a little cinnamon on them and they were perfection!


Follow Audra's superb recipe below (with a few of my own teeny adjustments and notes) to find out how to make these delicacies! Melting the butter and milk was a strange experience, but it worked, so I won't question it! Have you done this before?



FYI, I got two dozen cinnamon rolls from this quantity, whereas Audra's yield was 12 so keep an eye on your own batch! Here's my roll with the 12" baking dish for a comparison!

You will need:
Filling:
1 cup brown sugar
2-3 apples (Granny Smith's)
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
5 tbsp butter (melted)

Dough:
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup butter
3 1/4 cup cream flour
1 package instant yeast *I used Tesco own brand*
1/4 cup white sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup water
1 egg

  1. Heat milk and butter in the microwave until combined (approx 1.30min on full power).
  2. Add this, along with water and egg to the yeast, sugar, salt and 2 1/4 cup flour in a mixing bowl. Beat with mixer until incorporated *using the dough hook attachment, not the paddle*.
  3. Add remaining flour gradually (dough gets increasingly tougher to mix, will probably have to use your hands to knead this! Do so on a floured worktop).
  4. Continue kneading for five minutes, until dough springs back lightly when touched. I had to add quite a bit of extra flour to get to this stage as my dough was quite sticky!
  5. Cover dough with a damp cloth and allow to rise for 10 minutes in a warm area.
  6. Mix cinnamon, sugar and butter together to form crumble. 
  7. Core, peel and chop apples into 1/4 inch pieces.
  8. Flour your surface and roll out the prepared dough which has risen considerably.
  9. Cover with cinnamon sugar mixture, and sprinkle with apple pieces.
  10. Roll the rectangle into a cylinder (Audra suggests starting at the shorter end, which is a great tip!)
  11. Using non-flavoured dental floss slice the dough into rolls.
  12. Grease a baking dish and place rolls spaced 2inches apart.
  13. Cover with a damp cloth and allow to rise in a warm area for half an hour.
  14. Pre-heat oven to 190degrees Celcius.
  15. Bake for about 30 minutes, or unti golden brown on both top and bottom *glass oven dishes are super for this!*
  16. Allow to cool in the dish- I joke, eat one right out of the oven with a cup of steaming tea.
  17. Enjoy!

I hope you liked the Winter Warmers mini-series!

This week will be as full as Santa's sleigh with Christmas recipes so don't miss out! Keep an eye on Milis!

Stay sweet! x

No comments:

Post a Comment