Thursday, August 22, 2013

Jammy Dodger Hearts

To continue with the Week of Cookies to celebrate Milis' one year blogoversary I'm sharing with you one of my most popular recipes!

Confession: my boyfriend berates me for naming these jammy dodgers as there's no buttercream in the filling. If you want to add in a dab of buttercream, be my guest- just let me know how it goes! ;) Personally, I think these are perfect just with jam!


These are a major crowd-pleaser and have a huge yield! The buttery crumb of the cookie is complimented brilliantly by the tang of strawberry jam! Bonus points, these are super easy to make!




These would be perfect for Valentine's Day, an anniversary or just to say 'I Love You' to someone special! 






I made them originally to celebrate my sister's engagement (very appropriate!) but if you don't have heart-shaped cookie cutters, a large glass and bottle cap would make equally pretty cookies. 



I kept the innards of my cookies (the tiny hearts) and served them in small bowls, they were yummy and great to pick on, sans jam! 



You will need:
1 cup of butter (at room temperature)
1/2 cup of granulated sugar
2 tbsp light brown sugar
2 cups plain/cream/all-purpose flour
1 egg
1/2 jar of your favourite spreadable strawberry preserve


  1. Preheat your oven to 176degrees Celcius.
  2. Line two to three baking sheets with baking parchment.
  3. In a stand-mixer, beat together butter, sugars and flour together until partially combined with the rest resembling a dusty-sand.
  4. Add in the egg. Beat until combined.
  5. Flour a counter top and roll out to about 1/4 inch thick.
  6. Cut out shapes and transfer onto baking sheets. *I cut out the large hearts first, then counted them, and used the tiny heart cutter to cut the centre out of half of the batch.
  7. Cover with cling film and chill in the fridge for 10 minutes (this prevents spreading in the oven).
  8. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
  9. Leave cool for ten minutes before transferring onto a wire rack.
  10. Piece together using your strawberry preserve.
  11. Enjoy!

Come back tomorrow for #3 in the Week of Cookies!

Stay sweet! x


No comments:

Post a Comment