St. Patrick's Day = Green
Green = Mint
Mint + Chocolate = Win!
Although I stayed fairly calm with the flavours here, I used shamrock green cupcake cases which looked so cute and festive!
Also, a 150g box of After Eights was the perfect size for these cupcakes, no need to buy a big box.
I used a chocolate batter, with a hidden After Eight baked inside, and kept the peppermint flavouring and green colouring for the icing.
The results were delicious! Just like an After Eight in cupcake form!
Ingredients- Yields 12 Cupcakes
6oz self-raising flour
4oz caster sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa
12 After Eight Mints
- Preheat oven to 180degrees Celcius.
- Line baking tray with cupcake cases (I used cute green polka-dot ones from Sainsburys)
- Mix all ingredients except for the After Eights until combined.
- Spoon half of mixture into cake tins.
- Place a whole After Eight on top of batter in each case.
- Cover each After Eight with more batter.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the cupcakes are springy to touch (don't try the skewer test here!)
- Cool on a wire rack.
About 1/2 a bag confectioners sugar
3 drops green food colouring
3 drops peppermint essence
2 knobs margarine
2 teaspoons hot water
6 After Eight mints
- Mix all ingredients, except After Eights until smooth.
- Add more green colouring or peppermint essence, to taste.
- Slice mints diagonally.
- Ice cupcakes, I used a small spatula and worked in a circular motion, picking up the icing from side to side and finishing in a small peak in the centre of the cupcake.
- Place the After Eight firmly into the cupcake, apex upwards.
Enjoy these beauties with a cup of tea in front of War of the Buttons!
Let me know what you think of them in the comment box below, honestly, they're probably my favourite thing I've ever baked!
Happy St. Patrick's Day! Have a great one and see you back here next week!
Stay sweet! x